Fixing up a room for your precious little one is a thrilling project. And there are so many directions you can choose to go when deciding on nursery décor.
One popular approach is to start with black and white crib bedding. Black and white is a very popular color scheme for any bed room, or any room of the house for that matter. Starting with black and white crib items gives you a wide open slate to build upon regarding patterns, styles, and color.
Black and white is a favorite that works great for both girls and boys. The high contrast provides a high level of visual interest to a growing baby. And black and white crib bedding can be found in a huge variety of fun and creative patterns and fabric options to choose from.
Planning The Nursery Decor
Depending on the design and prominence of bedding you choose, you are able to create the feel of the nursery, whether it’s wild and fun, dramatic and bold, sweet and inviting, or anything in between. So when planning the décor of the room, first consider the look you want to achieve. Here are some questions to ask yourself when getting started:
- How much of the room will be in black and white? Will you go with whites and blacks throughout the room, or just for the bedding?
- Will you mix different patterns or stick with one over-riding pattern and texture, such as polka dots or zebra print or damask?
- Do you want to add a third color to the mix to add a creative touch, either with wall color or accessories?
- Will you carry out the black and white theme in other bed rooms or rooms in the home as well?
Types of Baby Bedding
Black and white baby bedding is available in entire matching sets, or as individual pieces. So you might go for white and black on any one or all of the following nursery bedding items: crib quilt or blanket, crib skirt, sheets, pillow cover, or baby bumper.
A variety of soft fabrics can be used to ensure comfort. Micro fleece and brushed cotton are soft and gentle to baby’s skin. Whatever you choose, be sure it is all completely washable for convenience and longer term use.
Then you can add other accessories to carry out the black & white theme as much as you want throughout the room. This might include area rugs, window coverings, and hanging mobiles. Some manufacturers even offer such items as picture frames, changing pad covers, and lamp shades that match the bedding set.
Black and White Baby Bedding Designs
- polka dots – same or different size white dots on black background
- damask – classic repeated pattern of white on black or black on white
- geometric – these abstract designs can be angular or swirly
- stripes – these can be mixed with polka dots, or other geometric patterns; zebra striped baby bedding is currently a very trendy black and white option
Some sets will feature the design on just one side of the blanket or baby quilt, and are solid black on the other. And some incorporate multiple patterns into one blanket and throughout the pieces.
Many selections add a third color to the mix. Popular options are pink, blue, red. You can also create a more elegant luxury look by sticking with neutrals and adding shades of brown or tan.
There are so many choices to assist in your creation of the perfect nursery for your baby. You baby is sure to grow to love whatever choice you make in their very own room.